Tuesday, November 3, 2009

1 Month Old

Wyatt is exactly 1 month old today. Which also means that he has been in the hospital now for a full month (31 days to be exact). He is doing very well, with the exception that he is still an immature eater. He still doesn't have the suck, swallow, breathe routine fully coordinated, so he forgets to swallow and breathe, which causes him to drop his heart-rate dramatically. The doctors don't feel comfortable sending him home until he can stop dropping his heart-rate. Other than that, he had his feeding tube removed and all IV's are now removed. He is finally starting to gain weight, rather than lose weight. Yipee!
This past week, I went thru an anger phase where I was angry at the nurses, doctors, and hospital in general, for not letting Wyatt go home. It is just a very frustrating situation to not have our family together and to have to drive to downtown Minneapolis every time we want to see Wyatt. But, now I think I've passed that phase and moved into a "whatever happens, happens" mentallity. The less focused I am on Wyatt coming home, the more sane I can be.

Below is a photo of my mom holding Wyatt. My parents took Brody to Huron with them, for 10 days, when Wyatt was at his sickest. Then, when my mom brought Brody back to Minneapolis, she stayed in the hospital all day with Wyatt, so that Erik and I could have a day devoted entirely to Brody. Thanks Rella and Larry for all your help with Brody when we needed it most!

6 comments:

J J & j said...

This is a great picture! Do you think he looks like Brody when he was a month old? Thinking of you guys and wishing you the best.

Sam & Rachel said...

Can't believe he is one month old already. Crazy. Hope we get to meet Wyatt later this month. Keep us posted on how he's doing.

Cousin Brenda said...

Erika- I remember exactly how you feel. Oh too well as if it were yesterday! Hang in there! You did better than I if you are just now going through that and as I recall I went through it 2 or 3 more times before it was all said and done. Your family will be together soon-You are not alone and it is ok to feel that way. I think I even had a little break down towards the end. I look back now and wonder how we got through those hours and that period in our life. The guilt I felt being away from Spencer and Autumn but yet I couldnt leave Josiah's side. This too shall pass and rest up because before you know it....time flies....he will be 2 and you'll be chasing him all over the place. (Talking from a little experience)

Unknown said...

It looks like Gramma is really havin' a tough time with Wyatt in the hospital! :) Thanks for the updates, and know that you are still all in our prayers. We think of you often and know that you are doing the best things for both of your little boys. You are all very very very loved.

Sarah Radke said...

Hey Erika-
There are no words I could say to make you feel better, but know that everything you feel is okay. On your 'bad days', those that love you sense it and pray harder...Believe me, all the stuff Sam has taught us the past couple of years - True Dat!:) There are many people who pray for Sam who know you so I've asked them to add Wyatt to their prayers...These are some amazing people. Keep your Faith, Er, but remember it's okay to be mad...and sad...and glad. I hate all those 'feeling words'. Are you at Mpls Childrens? If yes, my Aunt Deb works on PEDS ICU mon-fri. She was out with Sam, but will be back next week. I'll talk to Rell and if you are there, have her find you...Sometimes it's nice to have a friendly face around. Sending TONS and TONS of love from the Radke Fam! Sarah Rad

Erika and Erik said...

Sarah--thanks for all you thoughts and well-wishes. Yes, Wyatt is at Minneapolis Children's Hospital. But (fingers crossed) we may be going home today, so we might not have a chance to meet up with Aunt Deb. But, I'll let you know if we don't get outta here and have a chance to go hunt her down.